A: Our tutors are all DBS checked multi-instrumentalist music teachers and musicians. Several of them do private lessons face-to-face or online (Zoom; Skype; FaceTime, etc.). The tutor-to-student ratio is typically 1:4. Our senior staff have impressive stage and studio credits:
- Atomic Rooster
- Joan Baez
- Belinda Carlisle (Go-Go’s)
- Ray Davies (Kinks)
- Bob Geldof (Boomtown Rats)
- Chris Isaak
- Sir Tom Jones
- Jefferson Starship
- Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis (Prince)
- Jools Holland’s Big Band
- Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
- Scotty Moore (Elvis Presley’s Band)
- The Who
- Paul Young
Our younger tutors are all enthusiastic young pro and semi-pro musicians who are keen to work in the tight knit team we have assembled. Band assistants are former FSOR students, and/or FSOR tutors in training.
Some of our staff perform locally (pre and post lockdown!) with:
- Crouton Cannon
- Dead Man’s Corner
- Gwen & The Good Thing
- The Hit Men UK
- The Jimmy Cash Show
- Jim Radford & The Jolly Jammers
All our staff love to share their expertise and enthusiasm with the next generation of musicians.
You can find out more about the staff here
A: Felix’s School of Rock takes place at our new Venue
Shooters Hill Sixth Form College
Red Lion Lane
London SE18 4LD
We turn classrooms into rehearsal studios, and we turn the school’s Main Hall into a concert venue for The Gig, with stage, lights and projectors. We run a range of other, smaller events for kids and adults.
A: Most guitar and bass players bring their own electric guitars and basses. Some guitarists bring their own amps (most don’t). Most drummers and keyboard players hire FSOR drums & keyboards for £5/day, but you are welcome to bring your own drums and keyboards from home. Just let Alyson know in advance.
We have guitars, basses, keyboards and drum kits for hire for £5/day or £20/4-day rock school. We provide PA’s, microphones, bass amps, stage guitar amps (for the gig)
A: FSOR provides a full rehearsal PA and microphones to each band. Most keyboards are plugged directly into the PA system.We have bass amps for all bassists. We have stage amps for all guitarists, and rehearsal amps for most of them (some prefer their own). All instruments (guitar/bass/keyboards/drums) can be hired for £5 a day and should be booked in advance.
- We do minor repairs (string changes, strap pin repairs, etc) on site when necessary.
- Guitarists: should be able to play at least 3-5 chords + ‘The Power Chord’. They need to know the string names and the fretboard well enough to follow instructions (eg, play the A-string, 7th fret)
- Bassists: Need to know the string names and the fretboard well enough to follow instructions (eg, play the D-string, 10th fret)
- Keyboardists: should know the names of the notes (keyboard layout)
- Drummers: need to be able to keep a steady beat in 4/4 time for 3min or more.
- Other Instruments: We welcome virtually any instrument that has a pick-up or can be mic’d up. We have had brass, strings, ukuleles, harmonicas, a sitar, a banjo, acoustic guitars, congas, bongos and an array of hand percussion. Bring it on!